Skip links

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the minimum rental duration?

Whitianga: 3 days (February-November), 7 days (December-January)

Auckland, Hamilton or Tauranga airports 7 days

Charges are per calendar day. The day of pick-up is the first day of the rental.

The day of return is the final day of the rental.

What do you mean by calendar days when we book?

Unlike rental car companies that charge by 24-hour clock, all campervan companies in New Zealand charge by the day. Coastal Campers offers a reduced daily rate should you wish to pick up the campervan in Whitianga at 4pm on your day of commencement. The day of return is classed as a calendar day regardless of the time you return it.

What is the delivery fee from the Airport?

We can meet you with the motorhome or campervan at Auckland, Hamilton or Tauranga airports; the delivery and collection fee is $100 each way. We can also provide a shuttle to/from our depot if you wish to begin/end your rental in Whitianga.

Is there a minimum age to rent?

You must be 21 years or older to rent and to drive our motorhomes.

Who can drive the motorhome?

There is no charge for extra drivers. All drivers must be 21 years or older, hold a full license and produce their drivers license at pick-up. Only those people named as drivers on the rental agreement may drive the vehicle.

Do I need a special license to drive?

No, a standard car license is all that is needed. You will need to show us a full home-country driver’s license for each person who intends to drive. If your license is not in English format, we will need to see a valid International Driver’s License/Permit.

Can I do a 'one-way' rental?

We are unable to offer one way rentals.

When do I need to pay?

Once we confirm availability with you, a non-refundable deposit of NZ$200 is required to secure your booking. The remaining balance is due on pick up. View our Terms & Conditions.

How can I pay?

Deposits and remaining balances can be made by credit card (Visa & Mastercard), New Zealand Dollar cash or bank deposit. The bond imprint is taken by credit card (Visa or Mastercard) at pick-up, by the person named on the rental agreement. Unlike some other rental companies, we do not add a credit card surcharge.

What if I cancel?

If you cancel your booking you will forfeit your deposit. The Cancellation fee for less than 21 days notice is $300. See our Terms & Conditions.

What will it cost me if I have an accident or damage the motorhome?

In the unfortunate event of an accident or damage, you will be responsible for up to the first NZ$1,500 (if over 25 years) or NZ$2,000 (if aged between 21 – 25 years) towards repairs (called the excess). This insurance is for the Motorhome only.  It does not cover personal injury or belongings, cancellations, hire days lost due to travel delays, theft of possessions, lost baggage or changes of holidays plans for whatever reason prior to or during your rental. It does not cover you for reckless driving or driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. We strongly recommend that you take out personal travel insurance. See our Terms & Conditions.

What is the Security Bond?

This acts as the vehicle bond and insurance excess. Unlike other companies, Coastal Campers do not deduct your bond before your motorhome hire starts. We simply require a credit card imprint on the rental agreement. The cardholder must be present at pick up. If you don’t have a credit card, we require either Cash or signed Traveller’s Cheques in NZ$.  If there is no loss, damage or any reported incidents, speeding fines or parking tickets, and the vehicle has been returned in a clean condition, with the toilet and waste tanks emptied and the fuel tank full, Coastal Campers will destroy your imprint or return the bond back to you in the form of company cheque, 3 weeks after your hire. See our Terms & Conditions

What happens if I have an accident and it’s not my fault, say a third party caused it?

In the event that something happens to the motorhome and you are not at fault (either a vehicle accident where someone strikes the vehicle or damage occurs while the vehicle is parked), if you are unable to supply Coastal Campers with details that enable recovery of the costs, then unfortunately you will be liable. A break in reported to the Police with a copy of the incident report from the police is not charged for.

Can I get a refund for early return?

No. If you choose to terminate your hire early no refunds will apply.

Can I extend my hire?

Yes, but only by arrangement and depending on availability.

Do I have to pay for road tax?

No, Coastal Campers pays for the diesel road tax.

What is included in the Motorhome?

Bedding – Duvet, Sheet, Pillow, Pillowcase, Pillow Protector, Blanket (in winter), Mattress Protector
Towels – Bath towel, shower mat, tea towels
Cutlery – Forks, knives, spoons, teaspoons
Crockery – Dinner plates, plates, bowls, mugs, glasses, wine glasses, plastic glasses, serving bowl
Cooking Utensils –vegetable peeler, knives, fish slice, whisk, scissors, can opener, serving spoons, tongs, can opener, corkscrew, potato masher
Kitchen – Matches, Electric Jug & Toaster, Kettle, chopping board, fry pan, saucepan, pot, grater, storage containers, mixing bowl, coffee plunger, colander, dish brush, scouring pad, dish cloth, cleaning fluids
General – Pegs, clothesline, clothes hangers, bucket, dust pan & brush, hose, step stool, WIFI router, outdoor table & chairs, toilet chemical, disposable gloves, fire extinguisher, torch, maps & information, vehicle manual, campground discount card, playing cards, frisbee, USB adaptor, DVD movies, soap, tissues, toilet paper, rubbish bag, re-useable shopping bag, grey water hose, electric fan heater, power adaptor
First Aid Kit, a sealed kit is supplied, but should you need to open it, a $20 charge is made and you become the owner of the kit.

How are the appliances powered?

When DRIVING the following work: – fridge, battery charging, stereo, lighting & heating. When FREEDOM camping without mains/shore (240v) power: fridge, stereo, LPG heater, lights, grill/hob, hot water, toilet & hot shower, DVD player
At CAMPSITE plugged into mains/shore (240v) power: everything including microwave, electric kettle/jug & toaster, electric fan heater,  DVD player, your laptop and your hairdryer
Can I flatten the battery and be stranded?
The vehicle (starter) battery is not connected to the appliances so can not be flattened by using lights or the fridge etc.

How long will my batteries last?

All of our Motorhomes have a dual battery system. It has a house battery, which is independent of the engine batteries and charges whilst driving or if plugged into mains power. Using the house battery will not run the engine battery flat. This house battery, depending on usage, can last up to 48 hours without driving or being plugged into mains power. If the battery starts to lose power it’s just a matter of running the engine for a while or moving to a powered site to recharge it. The 12V house battery will power the fridge, water pump and lighting. For long stays it may be advisable to go to a holiday park and plug into 240V. Since the engine battery is separate, if you flatten one of the house batteries, you will still be able to start the engine and drive.

Is there heating in the vehicle?

Yes, all of our motorhomes have electric, diesel or gas-operated heaters.  Our 2 berth campervans have electric heaters only.

Can I park and sleep in the motorhome wherever I want, or do I have to stay in a campground?

While it is not always necessary to go to a commercial campground every night we do recommend it every 2nd or 3rd night, to empty toilet and wastewater tanks and replenish your fresh water. Most districts now have a “No Parking/Overnight Camping” policy. Campgrounds usually charge around NZ$15 – $35 per night depending on numbers and they do have very good camping facilities. Of course if you do free camp (in a designated area) please remember not to leave any rubbish or traces of your stay.  Please respect the environment and leave only your footprints.There are certain areas in NZ that you are unable to free camp. These are well signposted.

How long does the LPG last?

If you are freedom camping and using the central heating, hob and hot water often, you may use a 9kg gas bottle every 7 to 10 days with average use, maybe more in winter. We recommend you check the bottle every 4-5 days to avoid running out at an inappropriate time.

Where can I empty the toilet and grey water?

Dump Stations are located in campgrounds and various tourist sites around New Zealand. We provide a list of where these are in our vehicle handbook.

Where can I travel?

You can travel freely in either the North or South Islands. New Zealand is generally recognised as a country which is easy to drive in, however there are several difficult roads which may be unsuitable due to the narrow, windy, steep terrain. These roads are predominantly gravelled. Extreme care is needed in the following areas: These include: Crown Range between Cardrona & Arrowtown, Skipper’s Canyon (near Queenstown), Ball Hutt Road (near Mt Cook), North of Colville township and the Tapu-Coroglen Road (both in the Coromandel Peninsula).

What about weather, busy times and school holidays?

Summer months are December to February and many kiwis (except us) take their holidays over Christmas and January. This is the busiest time for tourism. Discover more: weather forecasts, snow reports, school holidays, tide times

Can a child seat be fitted to the motorhome?

Yes, you can fit any of the 3 different sized child seats to our Motorhomes. It is law in New Zealand that a child under 7 is required to be in an appropriate child seat whilst travelling. Each vehicle is different so when booking please let us know the ages of your children and if a car seat is required.

How do I get to Whitianga to collect my motorhome?

We can meet you at Auckland, Hamilton or Tauranga Airports or transfer you to our base in Whitianga on the Coromandel Peninsula if you wish to begin your journey from here. There is a fee of $100 each way for this service. We also offer free car parking while you hire a motorhome from us.

How long should I allow when I arrive to collect my camper?

When you pick up your motorhome we’ll introduce you to its facilities. This takes around 30 to 45 minutes. You will also be required to sign the rental agreement and leave your credit card imprint for the security bond and insurance excess.

What happens if I have a problem with the motorhome?

All our motorhomes are regularly maintained and dealer-serviced. Please call us for assistance if you have a problem.  We are members of the Automobile Association (AA) nationwide service and recovery group with 24-hour breakdown cover. Simply call the number on the windscreen 0800 734 543 toll free for assistance. For minor repairs under $100, we will reimburse you when you return with the receipt.

Return to top of page